Sunday, January 23, 2011
Elk Basin townsite
Originally located in Elk Basin near the first oil and gas wells, the community which had sprung up for workers included homes, a general store, a post office, a restaurant, and a Sunday school. Because of the presence of hydrogen sulfide gas, which is highly toxic and can settle in low lying areas, much of the community was moved several miles away to higher land on Polecat Bench. In 1955 the "camp" for workers in Elk Basin was closed. Many of the houses were moved to Powell. Traces of streets and a few trees remain on the site.